Friday, July 31, 2009

Why can't I ski anymore?

I'm now 35 years old. I started skiing when I was about 16. I have skiied in Quebec, New England, the Poconos, WV, and the mountains of NC. My last ski trip before now was 1998. My husband and I came to Utah to visit family and go skiing in Park City. I'm so bummed! I rented skis and the instant I put the boots on, I feel like my quad and calf muscles are under stress (like the wall-sit exercise where your legs start shaking after a while). I skied for about an hour and ended up having to stop every 500 ft or so and the pain in my legs was so intense! I gave up after 3 hours and can barely walk the day after (everyone else went back out today). I used to LOVE skiing, but it just wasn't enjoyable anymore. I could get NO relief from the pain - even when I stopped. I had to lay on the mountain and get off my feet for any relief. Am I just out of shape (I do exercise, but post-baby am 20 lbs heavier)? Is it a new boot design? Are they they that much different now? Any ideas?

Why can't I ski anymore?
Without being sarcastic, I'd have to welcome you to middle age. I'm 51 now and when I hit 45, everything went to hell in a handbasket. The weight may have something to do with it. Check with your doctor about maybe taking vitamin supplements.
Reply:I love to skii!!! I go skii every year with my family. I think since you haven't been skiing in a while your muscles haven't been that well i shape. Or since you have been getting older you haven't been able to do all the things you've been able to do when you were younger. You may want to strecth everyday to get your muscles back in shape!



books

No comments:

Post a Comment